Aluminios Cortizo becomes the first company to achieve the DAP
We are proud to announce that one of our main clients has become the first company in the sector to achieve the DAP (Environmental Product Declaration) certification under the new UNE-EN 17213: 2020 standard, specific for windows and pedestrian doors.
The Galician multinational, which had already participated in other sectorial DAPs of the Spanish Aluminum Association, is now the first company in the sector in Europe to have achieved this exclusive certification for its systems, under the new specific standard that came into force on last July.
Specifically, it has achieved certification for the series COR 3500, COR 60, COR 70 Industrial, COR 70 Hidden Leaf, COR 80 Industrial, COR 80 Hidden Leaf, 4200 Sliding, 4900 Sliding HI, COR Vision, COR Vision Plus, Millennium Plus 70 , Millennium Plus 80 and the facades TP 52, TPH 52, TPV 52 and SG 52.
Specific EPDs for windows and doors analyze the environmental impact of the enclosures used in construction throughout their life cycle. In this case, an analysis has been carried out that takes into account:
- The extraction and transformation of raw materials
- The processing of secondary materials through recycling
- Transport to the manufacturer
- The end of life of the products
- The impacts avoided by recycling
In this area, ALUMINIOS CORTIZO has achieved excellent results in its evaluation, being able to quantify the low environmental impact of the enclosures designed by its R + D + i team. To this end, both the materials used to manufacture the components that make up its aluminum systems and the way in which they are produced have been valued.
When obtaining this certification, aspects such as:
- The high level of self-supply of recycled aluminum billet through its own foundry plants
- The integration of all phases of the production process in your facilities
- The establishment of a local logistics network that minimizes CO2 emissions related to transport
- The selection of renewable energy providers that contribute to reducing the carbon footprint
Transversal sustainability plan: New consulting department GREEN BUILDING
These exclusive DAPs for window, door and facade systems provide significant added value to the Galician brand’s product catalog, especially in relation to its application in architectural projects that aspire to obtain sustainable construction seals such as Leed, Breeam or GREEN.
To do this, the multinational has set up a Green Building consulting department that will advise architecture studios on the contribution of CORTIZO systems to obtaining these certifications. All these actions represent new steps in the company’s sustainability strategy, a transversal plan that pivots on 2 axes:
- Innovation, developing solutions with high thermal performance that help reduce energy consumption in buildings, and
- Recycling, thanks to the CORTIZO RECYCLING network designed to produce second-melt aluminum billet from the surplus from its production and that of its customers, transformed into raw material in its foundries in Padrón and Mieres.
This latest success places Aluminios Cortizo as the first manufacturer and distributor of aluminum and PVC systems in Spain, making it one of the great references in the sector at a European level, as well as one of the most environmentally committed companies.